IT IS the dead that matter most now. And they matter not just to those
who wait to mourn them. Everywhere in this land of rubble and human
zombies lie the corpses of perhaps 30,000 people who died in under a
minute, and the hot rain that began to lash north-western Turkey
yesterday was pouring through the crushed buildings that entomb them
and down into the ruptured sewage pipes and on into the water table.

Everywhere the high, sweet stench that chokes the nostrils promises
that Turkey's nightmare is far from over. Probably the last of the
living, a mute woman and a child with a broken face, were brought out
early yesterday. The time is over for making choices between searching
for the living or cleaning up a 250-mile swath that is now a perfect
breeding- ground for disease.

Yesterday there were no sounds of search-dogs barking, no whistles
being blown for silence as the listening devices tried to pick up
sounds of life. Only the roar of giant bulldozers and the screech of
demolition machines could be heard in scores of towns and villages
from Istanbul to Adapazari, and grim-faced officials ordered their
crews to ignore the frenzy of relatives.

The word, it seems, has gone out from the highest level in Ankara to
every mayor and provincial police chief in every affected area: smash
your way in and get those bodies out.

They had good reason for this change of policy, which has been
endorsed by medical experts from Israel and the US. At dawn the
blazing sun and blistering heat had vanished, replaced with great dark
clouds and hot winds - and hour after hour the rain poured down.

But though it swept the dust out of the mouths of thousands of
exhausted rescuers, it was the beginning of the end of the hopes of
those who had waited for six days, praying for the deliverance of
their relatives. And it proved that the horror of it all, if anything,
could go to an even deeper level.

In a drive along the Sea of Marmara we saw the same scene over and
over: groups of people, sometimes hundreds strong, clutching each
other in family groups, weeping and screaming, often collapsing, as
the steel scoops battered the remains of building. In the structures,
some originally 12 storeys and now squashed into layers of less than
20 feet, lay the bodies of their wives, husbands, fathers, mothers and
children. If they had survived nearly seven days and nights, they
would not survive this kind of onslaught.

In one street in the once-beautiful town of Degirmendere, where
officers from the naval base, business executives and wealthy
weekenders had their flats, we met a woman who had lost her entire
family, three generations, including her two teenage daughters, her
husband and her parents.

She sat in an armchair in the middle of the street being comforted by
a man in his seventies called Suku Cop, who later found he had lost
his son, daughter-in-law and two grandchildren. She screamed each time
the bulldozers' steel teeth tore huge chunks from the rubble that had
once been her fourth-floor flat. The woman, who was beyond giving
family details, was in a near-coma, through exhaustion and grief.

She had been sleeping in the same armchair for six days, watching as
the dogs and men with imaging machines had poked and prodded. Now she
knew her relatives were dead but she wanted to see their bodies. "She
has to see them," said Mr Cop. "I don't know why. Perhaps only women
feel that way. I have been here for three days and I try not to look
too closely at the stones and the crushed furniture. I could see only
my daughter- in-law's green-and-white striped curtains. I just hope
when they find them they will cover them up and we will bury them. I
do not want to look at them."

To get to Degirmendere we had to drive through the nightmare of
Golcuk, perhaps the most savaged community in the quake zone. 
Streets, some nearly a mile long, have been reduced to canyons of rubble,
where, if you care to look too closely, you will see human remains,
and parts of human remains, locked into cement slabs, where they were
crushed in their sleep at 3am last Tuesday. You can see many strange
sights in these grotesque mountains of debris: cars somehow embedded
in walls 20 feet up, washing machines hanging from their cables, piles
of clothing, children's toys, all mangled into a solid mass thousands
of tons in weight.

Yet all around are streets that seem almost normal, although deathly
quiet and empty of human habitation. Then you look closer and see huge
cracks, some two feet wide, some running the entire length and height
of the structure. Apartment blocks seven storeys high have toppled
into each other, remaining upright only with the help of their
neighbours. Some stand at angles of 30 degrees, some lean over the
streets, occasionally pouring out cement slabs which smash on to the
hundreds of parked cars already half-wrecked. There seems to be no
rhyme or reason as to which building came down and which did not.
Around the naval base we saw a wall, three feet thick, sliced as if by
a giant karate chop.

We had come to Degirmendere for a particular reason. It is the pretty
resort town that was hit by a huge tidal wave and at least three great
fireballs that came out of the sea and ripped nearly two miles of
buildings, an entire harbour and at least one six-storey hotel into
oblivion. And it all happened in under a minute.

As we walked down the street leading to the harbour, which was once
surrounded by a tree-lined park, we saw that it was the road to
nowhere. Nearly 200 metres of the park and the fashionable Koruk Hotel
had vanished. Nobody knows how many people were staying there. Divers
have reported hundreds of bodies trapped in the building. There is now
only a broken half of a road along the shoreline, with the sea - now
black and foul- smelling from the wrecked Tupras oil refinery, which
exploded and burned for days.

A man who witnessed this strange phenomenon was Bilgin Turkyildri, a
sales executive, who was still awake when the big tremor struck. "I
looked out of my window and saw the big fireballs coming up out of the
sea, as if they had been spat out," he said.

"Then the sea started to vanish, as if it was being sucked out of the
harbour below me. I saw ships hitting the bottom, even a few large
naval ships. They just sank down suddenly as the water went away. A
few seconds later, I saw the great wave coming straight in at a great
speed. I would estimate it was at least 16 metres high, and it smashed
right across everything, boats, road, walls, buildings, and ran right
up the main street.

"I could not believe what I saw. I felt as if I was dreaming it. But
when I went out into the street with my family we could not recognise
the town we had both been born in. The buildings had just fallen down.

The strangest thing of all is that all of the noise, the huge noise,
was over in a few seconds. Then there was just the dust and the
silence. The park below me had gone, and across the water, about three
miles away, I saw the refinery burning."

Mr Turkyildri knows the town well. He believes that up to 10,000
people, out of a population of 25,000, were dead, still inside the
collapsed buildings. In the area around the naval base - where the
clock is stopped at exactly 3 o'clock - we counted at least 50 large
apartment blocks destroyed and perhaps 50 more severely damaged. It
was here that we learnt the significance of the thousands of plastic
bags, containing 15kg of white powder, that we saw everywhere. The
bags, plus black rubber sacks, were being carried everywhere. They
contained quick- lime. Each time a corpse, or a group of corpses, was
discovered they were sent up the line, up into the mountains of
rubble. All over the huge estate scores of patches of white powder
could be seen. And workmen, spreading antiseptic on their gauze face
masks, emerged coughing and gasping - and many in tears.

We saw another strange sight as the teeth of the demolition buckets
came thumping down on huge concrete slabs - the concrete seemed to
melt into powder instantly.

"Look at that stuff," muttered Serif Mavis, a construction engineer in
charge of demolition. "It is like cheesecake. It is marshmallow. And
look at those silly little steel rods that is holding the whole thing
together. They are a joke. They are as much use as thread.

"Somebody is going to pay for this. That's if we ever bother to find
them. This whole town, and half of Golcuk, is going to have to be
razed to the ground. In three weeks there will be nothing left here."

But there will be something left. Perhaps upwards of a million people
who now either have no homes, or homes that they will always be too
frightened to return to. All along the Marmara Sea great tent cities
are rising by the hour. Scores of thousands have made their own tents
of carpets and blankets in the squares, the parks and the seafronts.
They have food and water, and very few of them are blaming their
government at the moment.

The leader of a German aid team made the point quite simply: "No
government in the world could have been prepared for what happened
that night. This earthquake, at the heart of densely populated   TOP
industrial region, is one of the most severe this century, and it has
destroyed entire communities spread across hundreds of miles."

The survivors pour their rage out for other kinds of men. Like the
refrigeration factory bosses who have refused to throw out fruit to
take the thousands of bodies. Like the local politicians who have
suddenly left town. Like estate agencies, connected politically to the
politicians, who are also missing. Like black-marketeers who are
selling bottled water at 10 times its former price.

But most of all their bitterness is for the giant bulldozers. It is a
quiet kind of hatred, not for the machines or the men who operate
them, but for what their roaring means. They now accept that all hope
is gone, that thousands of their friends, neighbours and families, are
dead inside the rubble. And that the bodies of those people, and the
disease that may be fermenting in the homes suddenly turned into vast
tombs, have now become their enemy.

EMAIL, 9/14/99 1:35:48 PM Pacific Daylight Time: I didn't read the
 recent postings on strange lights in Turkey, and hope this isn't a duplication.

Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 04:29:59 -0400

Hello everyone,

Since Red mentioned about the strange lights seen in South Oregon,
 I also would like to give you some info about what's going on here in Turkey.
 Well, ever since the earthquake,
 some very strange lights are clearly seen all over Western Turkey.
 They are incredibly clear, circular or triangular in shape, white, yellow,
 red and blue colored, remain visible in the sky for 5 to 20 minutes,
 following a materializing-dematerializing pattern. The funny thing is it became a routine thing as they have been showing up twice or three times a week recently. They became an inevitable component of the TV news and media.

Furthermore, just before the quake, the bottom of the sea in Izmit 
went red and the sea temperature went up to 40-45 degrees C. However,
 there are no underwater volcanos in the Sea of Marmara!!!
 Starting two days before the quake, hundreds of fish, crabs and other
 sea life forms died and not naturally! Somehow, they were burned!!!!! 
The fish nets of the fishermen were burned and we have several rock and stone samples from the sea, which went black in color. TUVPO (Turkish UFO and Paranormal Organization) is co-operating with the Smithsonian Institute and a few universities in the U.S..We already sent them some rock and burned fishnet samples, upon their request. Folks at TUVPO will hopefully run a spectrum analysis on the video tapes. Some fishermen are also saying that they witnessed an explosion under the sea. And then guess what. Fireballs, strange lights, sightings never ended in Turkey. At the same time more quakes with smaller scales are still ongoing in a wide range of area. As you know Greece was hit by a 5.9 quake a couple of days ago. Hundreds of other quakes vary from 3.5 to 5.2 in Turkey. They can't be the aftershock quakes because they occur on totally different fault lines.

The following are the possibilities that are discussed here as regards to 
those lights:

1. UFOs

2. Anomalous Lumnious Phenomena (Earth Lights or Earthquake Lights)

3. Sudden release of methane gas from the surface of the Earth as a result
 of a major quake. (Not likely though)

4. Unknown underwater volcanic activity

Well, no one knows what is going on here but I will appreciate your
 TECHNICAL comments, if you have any. Sorry, I know this has nothing to do
 with Nosty but I would also be glad if you could provide some info on that
 so-called Tesla and Plasma Weapon Prototypes. 

Back to Bariumblues Main Page

 more >   Earthquakes, tsunami, fireball